• is a community for discussion around all topics related to headphones and personal audio. If this is your first visit to our community, please familiarize yourself with the all content in this sidebar - as it will make your stay more pleasant.
You are also encouraged to check the menu at the top of the screen, containing links for further learning, past discussions, and to a number of audio-friendly subreddits. Before posting, please consider using the search function. A lot of questions have already been answered in the past, often comprehensively. Enjoy your stay! Rules • Be most excellent towards your fellow redditors.
And by 'be most excellent' we mean no personal attacks, threats, bullying, trolling, baiting, flaming, hate speech, racism, sexism, or other behavior that makes humanity look like scum. • Ask for purchase advice in the.
'The Bottlehead Crack is a superb introduction into the world of DIY audio. The parts quality is very good, the documentation is truly excellent, the Bottlehead. Bottlehead Crack + Speedball OTL Amplifier. Now through July 4th you can show your independence by ordering a made- in- America headphone amp kit.
This includes purchase advice for all gear and peripherals. • Post questions about tech support and general help in the. Low effort questions also go here. • Image posts must show functioning/connected gear, and be accompanied by a description or review that adds value to the post. No pictures of unopened boxes! • We do not allow: affiliate links, links to affiliate farms, pirated content, NSFW/NSFL content, market research, surveys, sweepstakes, giveaways, spam or self promotion.
• Selling or buying? Please use • Post loudspeakers and loudspeaker-related content in Additionally, and. We may further remove posts that are deemed off-topic, or better suited to other subreddits.. What we want to see • Content that facilitates about personal audio. • New hardware.
• of your headphone-related products. • Discussions on. • of your sweet rig. Stromae Cheese Rapidshare 320 Area. •, both from the ground up and modding.
Post not appearing? If you made a post to that is in accordance with our rules as listed above, and it doesn't seem to appear on the front page, please. Created Resources • • • • Tools and Tutorials • • • Related Subreddits • - Speakers and audio reproduction • - Music for audiophiles • - Pro audio/engineering • - Do-It-Yourself Audio - also and • - for restricted budget-hifi • - DIY Headphone mods • - Headphone pictures • - Repair help for audio gear • - Trade used AV gear • - AV pictures • - Car Audio and Video • - Vintage audio gear • - Turntables & Records Moderators may at their discretion remove content that fits better in one of the above subreddits. Weekly Discussion •. I debated several weeks whether I wanted to buy something pre-built (Schiit, Woo, etc.) or DIY (Bottlehead) for my HD650.
I ended up ordering the Bottlehead kit and waiting a month for delivery. And after about 10 hours of tinkering this weekend, I'm stuck with a unit that only has sound in the Left Channel after the Speedball upgrade. I've checked everything multiple times and still can't figure out what's wrong. I'm sure it's something that I've done wrong but cannot detect yet. I've posted to the Bottlehead forum for help as well.
I'll have my electrical engineer friend look at it next weekend, and I'm sure it'll eventually get fixed. But after all of this, I realized I'm more inclined to 'instant gratification'.
Once it's working, it'll be a burden off of my shoulders rather than a celebration. Don't give up on it.
When I built my crack I did so in one hasty evening while consuming a 6er of Gumballhead. Upon power-up the tubes lit up, but there was absolutely no sound coming from the amp. Like you, I was disheartened that it didn't work properly right from the start, so I stuck it on my shelf where it sat unused for an entire year. One evening last fall I felt ambitious and decided to look over the project again.
It turns out I had a cold joint in the circuit and all it required was a subsequent de-solder and re-solder of a single connection. Just like that the amp was 100% operational. Since then I've installed the speedball, custom caps, a vintage Russian pilot light and a vintage looking toggle switch for the power. The point is, the fix was simple, but I gave up too easily and essentially had a $400 paper weight on my hands because I ws not motivated to investigate the simple fix. It felt great finding the issue and fixing it too.
I highly encourage you try to find the problem yourself and think of it as a lesson in circuitry and amp building rather than a burden!